Friday, January 14, 2011

The Ships Had Sailed

What is happening to Pinoy Rock Music nowadays?

Last January 9, the Filipino rock band Bamboo had disbanded. The band's vocalist, Bamboo Manalac, confirmed the break-up in a statement he posted on their website. I've always been proud of these guys because they compose songs that make the Filipinos, particularly the youth, become socially aware and nationalistic. Their songs such as Noypi, Masaya, These Days, Mr. Clay, Hallelujah, Much Has Been Said, Probinsyana, Tatsulok, Kailan and Kalayaan sparked the patriotism among the Filipino youth. I also used to believe that they can do well in the international rock music scene but this happened. Oh well. Like what Bamboo said, "Things change... a chapter closes and a new one begins... We move forward for all the right reasons."

On the other hand, Ebe Dancel, the vocalist of Sugarfree, announced on his Twitter account that he's set to leave the band by the end of February to pursue a solo career. This simple tweet broke my heart because I love Sugarfree. I was one of the many students who screamed and sang along with the band when they performed in DLSU two years ago. And did I mention that their duet with the Manila Symphony Orchestra was epic? I wish I had been there! Mariposa, Hari ng Sablay, Prom, Tulog Na, Wag Ka Nang Umiyak and Nangangawit were a huge part of my highschool and early college life. I'm really sad because one of my favorite Filipino bands has to go.

I'm ending this post with Masaya and Nangangawit by Bamboo and Sugarfree respectively.





So long, farewell.