Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Get Ready for Autumn

If there's one season that's interesting for me, it would be autumn. The changing color of the leaves from green to orange (in some cases, yellow) never fails to amuse me. My lovely Auntie Sari used to collect autumn leaves whenever she gets the chance to visit our relatives in the States, and I have always enjoyed looking at her collection whenever she shows it to everyone here in the Philippines. I haven't been to a country where there's autumn so I feel very lucky to be able to see, touch and hold an actual autumn leaf.

Last Sunday, we went to Uncle Menor and Auntie Elon's house to have merienda with our balikbayan Uncle Sergio and Auntie Josie (I belong to a very big family tree that's why I have so many uncles and aunties). I was hesitant to go at first because it's an "all-adults" get together, but I still joined my three other aunties and my dad. I brought my cellphone with me just in case I get bored. While eating merienda, I realized that surrounding myself with people 40-50 years older than I am has disadvantages because I get to learn more about our family and their life before. They talked about their younger years, the things they do when they were my age and the like. During the conversation, Uncle Sergio also showed us the photos of my cousins and their children for us to see how much they've grown and changed, using his iPad. He showed us too the photos he took of the autumn leaves/trees in their neighborhood and the robin's eggs he found in their garden.


(A robin's eggs)

By the way, have you seen a robin's egg? Yes, your eyes aren't deceiving you because the eggs you see in this photo are definitely blue. Now I know that not all eggs are white. Fascinating, right?


(Autumn in Boston's public garden)

Everyone was so happy, most especially Auntie Sari who received another batch of autumn leaves. It was indeed an entertaining afternoon. Contrary to my presumption, I didn't get bored at all! I actually had a great time with them, and I hope it happens again soon. And oh, I'm going to add Boston to my top 8 list (making it top 9 now) of travel destinations. It would be such a delight to finally experience autumn. :)

*Photos from Google images*