Monday, November 07, 2011

Of Traveling and Living Abroad

A few days before my birthday, I had a small talk with Hazel about the countries we'd like to explore and I'm glad to know that she also dreams of traveling the world one day. It was a brief yet meaningful exchange of thoughts and she somehow inspired me. Yes, I want to go to a lot of places but, unlike Hazel, I never tried searching for random flights that fit my budget to make my traveling dreams come true.

Oh well.

Recently, I noticed that some of my batchmates (from gradeschool, highschool, and college) have moved in to Singapore, to follow their dreams and reach their personal goal. Well, being lost in a new place, learning new things, and meeting new people are a whole lot of fun, but nothing beats that priceless feeling you get when you're with your family and loved ones after a long day at work. It must have been really hard for them to leave the special people in their lives. But this is the life. Sometimes, we have to go through some twists and turns and make big decisions (should I take it or not?).

James, a childhood friend once asked me, "If given a chance, would you live in a foreign land?" That's a tough question, I must say. It took me some time to collect my thoughts, before I finally answered him. After five or ten minutes of debating with myself, I bet he was a little bit surprised when I said "no". As of that moment (until now, actually), I haven't considered writing "to live in another country" yet in my bucket list. I haven't pictured myself living abroad, away from my family. Perhaps, I'm not yet ready to leave the life that I have here in the Philippines. Traveling, on the other hand, is a different story.

But maybe, just maybe, there will come a day when I'd change my mind, make a big decision, and consider living abroad. We'll never know. ;)