Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Day I Gave Edward and Bella a Second Chance

When I was still in college, I read Twilight for the sake of being curious and just to be in the know. At that time, people my age (specifically girls) were so mesmerized by Stephenie Meyer's masterpiece and when they talk about how sweet and loving Edward Cullen is, I feel like I belong to a completely different universe. So imagine how I felt when I got to share my thoughts about Edward Cullen to my then room mate, Mela. It was awesome and cool. :))

However, I wasn't able to appreciate it as much as I appreciate Harry Potter. It took me months to finish the book because of school requirements. Priorities first! For this reason, I lost my interest and I totally forgot about Edward and Bella. And did I mention that I fell asleep while watching the movie adaptation on my laptop? I woke up when it was about to end. Sad, isn't it?

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, Teacher Mariel gave me something which I cannot refuse. She gave me a deluxe complimentary pass of Breaking Dawn Part 1! It's like a ticket for you to watch a movie for free. I don't usually get complimentary passes so I told myself, why not give Edward and Bella a second chance? :p

I watched the first screening of Breaking Dawn Part 1 with my brother a while ago. It was strange to see kids inside the cinema (but they're with their parents/guardians of course!). I thought teenagers would dominate the whole place but I stand corrected when I saw adults (probably in their 40's or early 50's) too.

I'm sure critics have had expressed their opinions about the movie by now. Well, in my honest opinion, it's not as great as Harry Potter (do I sound biased? Haha!) but it's a pretty decent and interesting movie. Every scene had me glued on the big screen and I felt the kilig again, most especially during the wedding of Edward and Bella. However, mind you, Breaking Dawn is more than just a movie about the love triangle of a vampire, a werewolf, and human being for it also focused on the importance of family, friendship, and moral values. You'll actually learn something good from it. And if there's one character that has a big impact on me, it would be none other than Jacob Black. Regardless of his good looks, I admire him for being brave, for fighting for what he believes in, and for doing what he think is right.

If given a chance, I would watch it again. 

Well, on a different note, I love the movie's soundtrack. I've been listening to Christina Perri's A Thousand Years for hours already!

"...don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years... I'll love you for a thousand more... I will be brave, I will not let anything take away what's in front of me... One step closer..."

This song! It makes me teary-eyed. It's so sweet and sincere. Haaay. :)