Thursday, May 31, 2012

The School Talk

It feels like I'm back to my college days because I'm reunited with the theories of childhood development. Last Monday, our directress gave us a workshop on preschool teachers' responsibilities and lesson/theme planning. We tackled mostly on Piaget's and Vygotsky's theories and Bloom's Taxonomy. I encountered these topics last year though, when I was reviewing for LET but my mind turned into a tabula rasa when she began asking questions related to these theories (examples: What's the focus of Piaget?, Who introduced scaffolding?, What does SMART stand for?). Haay, I need to review my notes.

Since Monday, I haven't stopped thinking of what theme to use for this month. I spent hours checking one preschool site to another to get ideas because seeing my word document empty was a little bit frustrating. :p After 2 days, I was able to think of a theme for toddlers and make a web. 

My theme is about sea animals. My toddlers will learn about fish, octopus, and jellyfish. The activities that I'm going to use integrate the five senses, colors, and numbers. I made the activities more interactive (and hopefully interesting for them) because toddlers have short attention span. Anyway, I'm ready for the constructive criticism.

I'm not sure if my theme will get approved but I still searched on classroom decorating that is related to sea animals. I came across this blog and I was left in awe.

                 

Who doesn't want to work on fun sheets with this table? And who doesn't like being a star student? Kids will definitely feel like a star!


Well, what do you think? There's so much effort and creativity in this classroom! My favorite is the waterfall corner. ;) Unfortunately, we can't decorate our classroom like this because it's "multi-purpose". It's a preschool setting in the morning and it transforms into a tutorial class setting in the afternoon. Also, 1) Teacher Serie and I share the same classroom. 2) We're both dealing with different age groups. 3) We have different themes. 4) We only have a particular corner for our respective class. Hence, decorating a classroom as bongga as this one is not really possible. Oh well. :p


*Photos retrieved from Clutter-Free Classroom*