Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Lost City of Pompeii

If I were as eager as Patty Laurel when it comes to looking for good travel deals, I would probably have traveled to some of my dream destinations. Unfortunately, I have this habit of spending my money on clothes, accessories, and food so I always end up with little savings. But I'm trying to cut this habit by trying to stay away from malls and bazaars unless I need to buy something really important. Needs over wants. ;)

I came across Patty Lloren's blog the other day and read her entry about her recent trip in Italy. They had a tour in Pompeii, a town that had been buried due to Mt. Vesuvius' eruption. I remember when I was in my sophomore year in high school, I learned about Pompeii when we had discussions on different world civilizations. The lesson didn't focus on Pompeii though, but its pictures in the book has left me interested. From that time until today, I've been dreaming of touring this place in the near future.


Interesting, amazing, and perhaps, scary in a way (just looking at the petrified people gives me goosebumps). I'm 101 % sure that Pompeii will spark the imagination of whoever visits it. How it looks now will give the visitors an idea or snapshots of life in the past (most specifically, what happened on the day the volcano erupted).

" Plaster was poured into the empty spaces to create molds of the bodies, which are chillingly detailed – their writhing agony during a suffocating death, the terror on their faces, even the way their hair was styled that day are frozen forever in the casts. Some were found fleeing for their lives while others were found curled up on floors and beds with their hands covering their faces. One cast depicts a thief with his hand in the purse of a wealthy man who is seemingly unaware of the looting while trying to escape the catastrophe. Another cast portrays a frightened dog fruitlessly fighting against the chain that held him captive."- excerpt taken from an entry written by Vicki Landes
 

Wow! The city is like an open history book, don't you think? No wonder why it's called "the city frozen in time". It's good that it has been rediscovered and preserved for us to admire. :)

*Photos retrieved from Google Images*