Sunday, May 22, 2011

Thank Bro, We're Still Alive and Breathing

“Today is a special day and I’ll tell you why later”. This line was immortalized by a professor I once had when I was still a college freshman. He became famous for using this line as his way of greeting his students before starting the lecture or lesson for the day. We never knew the reason behind it until our last day of regular class, when he finally shared. I cannot really remember the exact words but what he said goes like this:

Today is a special day because every day is a day that you will never have again

Yesterday, a childhood friend surprised me when she asked about my stand on “May 21 Doomsday”. It didn’t ring a bell at first but then I suddenly remembered the one article I read on the newspaper some days ago. A lot of people have been predicting that May 21 is The Day since the occurrence of natural calamities such as floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, and tornadoes recently. I paused for a while and stared at my laptop screen for about five or ten minutes, just thinking of an answer. After “reflecting” with myself, I responded to my childhood friend and we started a meaningful conversation out of it.

We spend too much of our time over-analyzing and worrying about things that don’t matter at all. Perhaps, these natural disasters occur because the Big Guy above wants to remind us to change our ways. No one really knows the end of the world, even the Bible. So why don’t we take a deep breath and think of happy thoughts, do something good or count our blessings instead?

Our life is too short to be unhappy, worried, *insert all the negative adjectives you can think of here*. Just like what our professor said, each day is a special day so we should seize every opportunity we get. At least, when The Day comes, we regret nothing because we know we lived our life to the fullest. :)