Sunday, April 19, 2009

Open Happiness

Every Sunday noon, I always watch ASAP 09 because of Enchong Dee. He is my schoolmate in La Salle and I only see him very often. I usually see him at the swimming team's tambayan (he is a member of the swimming varsity), SJ walk, or Yuchengco lobby. And when he passes by, I can't help but notice the girls silently giggle or smile dreamily. Oh yes, he is the man.

Our school is known for having celebrity students. Enchong is one of them. However, even if they are celebrities, they are treated as "normal students". They never get special treatment from the professors which I think is fair enough. And I realized that school is the place where they can be themselves because there are no screaming fans and flashy cameras around. As a matter of fact, I saw Enchong having fun with his team mates some months ago. He was dancing like no one is watching! Don't get me wrong. It just happened that I volunteered to accompany my friend, Lo. We went to Yuchengco lobby on purpose because we wanted to take a look at the t-shirts and other I Am Ninoy accessories. And there he was (their tambayan is near the Yuch lobby). Haay, he really got my attention and I totally forgot about the I Am Ninoy t-shirts, pins, and shades. He was so funny.

I have a lot of encounters with Enchong in school but I never had the guts to approach him. Even if we are like 1 cm away from each other, I just look at him or walk away. I don't know. But, after those encounters, I proudly tell my friends that one day, he will become my friend.

On the 27th day of March 2009, my dream finally became a reality in a way. I was in school because our class was required to attend a plenary session for INTOECO. During the plenary session, Claude and Karlene informed me that they saw Enchong inside the William theatre, hosting an event. After our plenary, I went to William theatre because Karlene asked me to go there. The event was almost finished when I arrived.

To cut the long story short, when the event ended, Karlene introduced me to Enchong (thank you Karlene for making it happen!) and I shook his hand (it's really soft..haha). It was an unforgettable day for me. As soon as Karlene finished taking our picture, Enchong and I had a little conversation for about 2-3 minutes. That precious period of time is one of the happiest moment of my life! We talked about school stuff. He told me that he just finished his practicum, and he's graduating on June. He also mentioned that the event was their final requirement for this subject and he was so happy because it was successful. On the other hand, I asked him if he knows Caroline, the "founder" of Only Enchong Dee (he said, "Oo naman!" with a smile), and I told him that I came from our INTOECO plenary session. Surprisingly, I was able to talk to him with confidence, even if I haven't had combed my hair. After our conversation, I thanked him and shook his hand again. We walked towards Karlene and they had their little conversation as well. They know each other since she took a picture of him for Ang Pahayagang Plaridel before. By the way, APP is the school's newspaper written in Filipino.

Many girls like Enchong because he is good looking and a very talented person. But I believe that he is more than his good looks and talents. Beyond the walls of showbusiness, he is definitely like us, the "ordinary people". Like us, he dreams big, loves his family and friends, and values education. Hence, I admire him because he has these qualities.

We may be acquaintances as of the moment, but I'm still hoping that we will become friends someday. And when that day comes, I'll be the happiest girl in the whole world.

I am writing this entry because I am not yet over with our little conversation, and I saw him on TV a while ago. As soon as I turned on the TV, he was right infront of me, talking about the Open Coke, Open Happiness campaign with Shaina and Kim. I was not really expecting to see him first. Then after a while, the Gigger Boys (his group) danced. Oh well, I think this is a good sign.

Haay, I hope he still remembers me.