Monday, January 30, 2012

The Second to the Last Day of January

People get surprised when I tell them that I stayed in a dorm during my college years. They thought I travel from Laguna to Manila every single day, being driven to school by the driver. But only the rich kids in my school do that. For practical reasons, my parents and aunt had to let me stay in a girls' dormitory near my school. I was so against it at first because living without all the luxuries that I enjoy in the comforts of our home meant torture. I know I sound exaggerated but prior to my dorm days, I'm used to having someone do all the work for me--- cook food, fold clothes, prepare and fix my things...

Fast forward to today, I've never felt this thankful to my parents and aunt who encouraged me to live independently in Manila. For three years, I got exposed to reality and I became more open to things which I though I'd never get to understand. I met new and different people and I learned so much from them. I learned how to commute in all types of vehicles--- pedicab, LRT, MRT, cab, bus, jeep, shuttle--- so I could watch UAAP games live in Araneta or simply stroll around Mall of Asia or Greenbelt. I learned how to budget my allowance. I learned how to discipline myself. I learned the Filipino value, pakikisama. I learned how to survive. Indeed, the elders know best.

I never imagined that staying in a dorm would become one of my most unforgettable moments in college. And it's fun to relive the memories again and again and again.

Before writing my dorm experience, I was listening to a cover from Boyce Avenue. It made me miss dorm life even more! As I listen to the cover, I suddenly remembered my dear friend, Marita who introduced me to this band. Marita and I were classmates in high school and the both of us stayed in the same dormitory. She goes to our room every night and she does her schoolwork with us. One beautiful night on a weekday, while taking a break from school work, she let me listen to the band's covers. She said she likes Boyce Avenue and she had downloaded a number of songs from them on her iPod. If I'm not mistaken, she's a huge fan. ;) Segue: Marita, I miss you! :)


This music video is Boyce Avenue's cover of It Will Rain, originally sung by our very own Bruno Mars. I admit that I like the original, but in my honest opinion, this cover is a much better version. I love it. Please let me know what you think when you press play.



And here's another cover of my favorite song, Coldplay's Fix You! This time, the band's lead singer collaborated with Tyler Ward, a musician who also found a niche in the music industry through uploading his cover songs on Youtube. Boyce Avenue and Tyler Ward are becoming known to many, because they keep on sharing their musical skills in the world wide web.

For those who are staying in a dorm right now, consider yourselves lucky. Not everyone gets to experience living in a dorm! Of course, feeling homesick is normal but I assure you, you'll get by. Just think of it as an opportunity for you to get to know yourselves a little bit more... as an avenue for you to see a lot of possibilities. In the future, when you graduate from college, it's something that you'd be proud of. Embrace your independence but don't forget to be responsible too. Take it from me. ;)