Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Dare

Balut has always been a Christmas staple at home. Our Christmas merienda wouldn't be complete without it. For those who are not familiar with balut, it is a boiled fertilized egg of a duck. It is usually paired with salt or vinegar to make it more tasty. In the Philippines, I think it is considered a delicacy.


(This is how a balut looks like when you open the shell. By the way, I do not own the photo. It is retrieved from Google Images)

An aunt gave a basket of balut for the whole family to enjoy. Nothing was left in the basket as soon as it was served on the table. Yes, that's how we love this food. While I was eating, I didn't notice that a cousin was observing me and then he said, "Try eating the white part (he's pertaining to the chick). Masarap!". I gave him a why-do-you-want-me-to-eat-that-are-you-kidding-me face. His mom also agreed with him and the rest of the cousins encouraged (or should I say, dared) me to eat the chick (I only eat the "soup" and the yellow part). I hesitated at first but... since I wanted some adventure, I gave in to their request and ate it. My smile turned into a frown while chewing it. I can't believe I just ate a baby duck! Yet I realized it's not that bad at all! I actually liked it. I didn't eat the white part because it's as hard as a rock.



Unfortunately, this is the only photo taken of my "balut eating challenge". I consider it as one of the bravest things I have ever done this year. Had I not tried, I wouldn't know how it tastes like. Thanks to my cousins, Christmas 2010 has become more memorable. :)



*P.S. Luisa, Cente and Keithy, we miss the three of you! Looking forward to celebrating Christmas with you soon. :)*