Thursday, June 03, 2010

I Will Follow My Dream

“Cambridge is a blessing in disguise.” These were the exact words that I said to my aunt when Teacher Blue, the directress from this preschool, sent me a message three weeks ago. I got excited as soon as I received her message and I replied immediately. She asked me to prepare an activity about homes, and it should be developmentally appropriate for three year old children. She also told me that I would have a storytelling session with them. I spent the whole night making a lesson plan and I even created an instructional material to make it more interactive and fun for them. I looked for my of copy of Eric Carle’s “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” and read it for the nth time and practiced infront of the mirror. As far as my memory was concerned, I slept at around 4 in the morning.

I considered it as a blessing in disguise because that was the time when I felt that I won’t get a job by June. The Little Apprentice, the other preschool where I applied, told me that I can’t be their lead teacher because of my soft voice. They don’t think that I could be an assistant teacher either since they already have one. But I’m still welcome to have my second demo-teaching. I took a one week break and tried to look for other preschools. After my one week break, I decided to contact the preschool’s administrator to tell her that I’m ready for another round of demo-teaching. Unfortunately, on that day, something went wrong with my phone. I lost everything—- my treasured messages, photos and the numbers of my friends, former classmates and groupmates, etc. I sent her an email instead but she didn’t answered it. And as usual, I prayed to God to make everything okay. And He did. A day after my phone “died”, I convinced my father and aunt to buy me a new one. It was a Monday, a week after the elections, and I was playing the Sims 3 when my new phone vibrated. To my surprise, it was a message from Teacher Blue and I jumped (literally) and danced like nobody was there. Finally, I got a call from my “dream preschool”. Had I not insisted on buying a new phone, I wouldn’t be able to know that Cambridge is interested to see my “teaching skills”.

It is my dream to work at Cambridge in Alabang. As a matter of fact, I can see myself working there and spending time with the children. The preschool is unique because unlike the others, it has an open-environment—- the classroom has no walls; instead, there are fences that separate each classroom. When Teacher Blue asked me about their setting, I said, “I was surprised because even if the children in the classroom where I had my demo shouted and laughed during their play time, the others who are inside their own “rooms” didn’t mind them. I noticed that they’re completely focused on what they were doing and they didn’t go outside to see what is happening.”

I was told that the children loved and enjoyed my activity. The teachers, on the other hand, liked it. They were happy with my performance and with the outcome of my interview. I was one of the lucky two teachers (out of three who had their demo) who was sent to Makati, where their main office is located. The head of operations (not the HR department) conducted the interview. Teacher Jane (the one who interviewed) will be the one to choose between the two of us. And whoever she chooses will be interviewed by the head of their HR department and then the president.

A while ago, Teacher Blue sent me another message. Since last weekend, I’ve been waiting for a message from her. And I didn’t expect it:

“Hi T.Dana! With the recent developments, it seems that we won’t have to hire a new teacher. A teacher from Cambridge Makati requested to transfer in our Centre. Anyway, thanks for sharing your talent with us. I’m sure that any school would be lucky to have you. We’ll keep your CV in our active file. Good luck and follow your dream! God bless!”

I didn’t expect the message to be like this. I was expecting the worst because the other teacher already has a seven year teaching experience. I was expecting that this teacher will get accepted and not me. I was wrong. I decided not to delete the message because I find it touching, for some reason. In addition, it will serve as a reminder for me to give my 100% in everything that I do.

This experience has made me realize that being soft-spoken and mahinhin are not a hindrance to fulfill my dream. I may have these characteristics but I can prove to others that I am more than meets the eye. :D That inside this facade is a strong young woman who is inspired and willing to share what she has learned to little children. Like what I said to Teacher Jane during the interview, “…Siguro po ngayon I’m still a caterpillar but once I enter the real setting, I would become a butterfly”.

I didn’t get my dream job but it’s okay. At least I tried and took the risk. I feel sad in a way but maybe, God has something better in store for me. This isn’t the end. This is only the beginning of a new chapter of my life.

Having said these, Cambridge will always have a special place in my heart. :)

P.S. Teacher Blue, I will not disappoint you. Thank you for believing in me. :)