Thursday, November 13, 2008

Would You?

My groupmates and I were thinking about the topics to be discussed for our panel discussion in SPEECOM then suddenly an idea just popped in my head. Though I was totally feeling sleepy at that time, I was able to suggest to take in consideration the topic about reality TV because it’s a fad nowadays. After finishing our list of topics, we presented it to our professor and surprisingly, he chose my idea. Then, he shared something about himself as a fashion designer, and his initiatives about joining Project Runway. We were absolutely amazed! Unfortunately, the school administration did not allow him because he’s working full-time. So anyway, going back to our group, we do not have any problems at all (yet) because most of us have connections (Survivor Philippines, Pinoy Big Brother Teen Edition, Project Runway, and MYX VJ Search). Therefore, we can get information directly from them.

Before we were dismissed in class, we brainstormed and asked questions related to our topic so it would be easier for us to do some research. We enumerated the different reality shows that we know such as the ones mentioned above. We also included the international ones like The Beauty and the Geek and America’s Next Top Model. Though, I can’t really remember if American Idol was there.

I started doing some research and I found out that some people like to join reality shows because it was their dream, they wanted to become famous, they admired models, and the like.

As a student who fondly watches reality TV shows sometimes to lessen the boredom, I can say that there are positive and negative effects on the people who join. On the positive side: First, they have the possibility to become famous because the whole world is able to watch them everyday. Second, they gain new friends because reality TV shows involve meeting new people. Third, they will learn to understand the differences and uniqueness of other people, most especially if they come from other cultures. Fourth, a lot of opportunities will be open for them. On the other hand, the negative side consists of having no privacy, conspiracy, stress, pressure, and even conflict with the members of the family.

A friend once asked me, “If you were given a chance to join, for instance, Pinoy Big Brother, would you go for it?” Well, to make my answer short, I said no for personal reasons. However, honestly, I have plans to join MYX VJ Search next year or the year after the next. And I’m still thinking about it carefully. Anyway, if it is in God’s plan, then let it be.

So, how about you, would you go for it? v(",)v