Sunday, November 09, 2008

Don't Talk to Strangers

On my way home to the dorm last Thursday afternoon, a woman with a little girl holding her hand approached me. The woman asked me if I could give them some fare because they couldn’t go home. Of course, I was surprised! Though I wanted to give her what she wanted, I did not get my wallet inside my bag. I said sorry and continued walking. I felt guilty, yes, but I was scared too. Nevertheless, I was thinking about them until I arrived at the dorm. In the end, I decided to only pray for them--- for their safety.

Nowadays, it is not easy to trust people. First, there are a number of bad individuals around. If you are watching the news lately, there are reports about various crimes in the society such as kidnapping, hold-upping, stealing, and the like. They may seem kind and harmless at first, but they can do things to us that depend on their real intention/s. Second, there is a possibility that the people we see in the streets are members of a syndicate. So, as the elders always say, it is better to give them food instead of money because we don’t know where the money we give them goes. On the other hand, we can ask different national civic organizations to support us in helping them. I think, this the least that we can do to help and save them, from the hands of the ones who take advantage of their goodness.

Let me end this entry by saying that it is important to be street smart and to be more careful in our environment. There is nothing to lose. We don’t really know. We can’t really tell. So, ingat! v(",)v