Wednesday, April 04, 2012

We don't only surf the net

We arrived at Bay's Inn in Baler, Aurora at around nine in the morning, feeling sleepy and hungry. The weather was a little bit grumpy--- it was raining and chilly. We sat in one corner of the inn's restaurant and ordered breakfast. While my colleagues were talking to each other, I looked at the ocean and observed its waves. The waves were getting bigger and stronger. The sight gave me goosebumps and mixed emotions.

After an hour, Mr. Sun came out and the weather became fine. I think it's a sign that I should go surfing. ;)

Baler, Aurora is one of the places in the Philippines that surfers love to visit. Surfers from around the world go here because of its amazing waves. I remember someone (Hazel, is this you? Haha) who told me that surfers anticipate gigantic waves because they make surfing more fun.

Surfing 101
Before the actual surfing, a local surfer taught us the things that we should know like the proper way of standing up on the board. After some "practice" on the sand, we went to the sea for the hands-on experience. As soon as we stepped on the water, I told my kuya (surfing instructor) that I don't know how to swim. With my game face on, I got on the board and braved the big and strong waves of Baler. 

Getting there... I'm the one wearing pink. :p
Look at those waves!
We had to do this in preparation for the coming of the "perfect wave". The girl in the picture is Karla.  :)
It was not me... It's Mina! :)
I have never felt this adventurous in my entire life! I was scared yet excited at the same time. I was freaking out when the waves hit me. :)) Hindi biro talaga! And I freaked out even more when the waves became much bigger. I asked kuya why it was getting bigger and bigger and he said, "kasi po high tide ngayon kaya malaki ung alon". Kaya pala.

It was a brave move for me, considering that I'm not into sports and swimming. Never in my wildest dreams had I thought that I would go surfing and it wasn't even in my bucket list! But this is something that I'm really proud of. Okay lang kahit hindi ako nakatayo sa board, at least I got to experience Baler's waves! At ang tapang ko kasi "high tide waves" pa ang hinarap ko. Yabang no? Hahaha! Kidding aside, I'm glad I took the risk. I have no regrets. ;)

(Thanks Karla and Serie for the photos | The last three photos from my camera | March 17-18, 2012)

The whole surfing experience was super duper fun! If given a chance, I would definitely go back to Baler and surf again. And when I get back, I will do my best to stand on the board. I promise. :p