Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hello There, Teacher!

It's just a simple paper with doodles for some people. Maybe, the child got bored and had nothing to do that's why he wrote the numbers 1-8, and at the back of the paper, he drew seven sticks with circles... plus a pink box with a flower on top. But when you are a teacher in the preschool setting, this piece of paper means something more because every child's drawing has a story behind it.


Today, I got a surprise from two preschool kids and it's not even my birthday. Our enrichment program for the day had just ended and they were only waiting for their sundo. They saw my colored pens lying around the table and a piece of paper on a chair so they decided to draw. While checking the papers and organizing my things, one of them asked about my age then my birthday (trivia: one of them thought I was eight years old). I told them that my birthday is in October and no, I'm not eight years old. They continued drawing until Student 1 said, "Teacher, what color of cake do you like?" I said pink and ta-daaaah, they showed this to me:



Surprise! Well, friends, according to them, this is my birthday party. The pink box with the flower on top is my birthday cake. And I assume that the eight sticks with circles are balloons. How sweet of them!

For me, this simple piece of paper is worth keeping.

I can honestly say that teaching is not an easy task because I have to come up with bright ideas to be able to meet the standards and people's expectations of me. And I tell you that I have the days when I feel like giving up because I think I'm not giving my best. But when I see the kids, when I hear their awesome comments, when I have funny conversations with them, when they are happy to see me, and when they hug me, I change my mind. I'm more motivated to work harder and I strive to be stronger and braver. These kids can really brighten up my mornings and I forget about the things that somehow bring me down.

Some people tell me that there's no money in teaching but the hugs, the smiles, the unexpected presents, and the greetings that we get everyday are enough to make us feel like billionaires. We receive complements like "Teacher, you're beautiful!" and "I like your dress, teacher!", most specially on days when we feel like crap or ugly. Hearing these words from them never fail to make our hearts jump for joy and dance like a ballerina. Haha! Iba talaga ang pakiramdam at nakakatuwang isipin na maganda ka pala para sa kanila. And might I add, I'm sure we all feel like we're the happiest person on this planet once our little kiddos already know how to read the alphabet, identify the letter sounds, read, and sing a song on their own. Or when they achieved something great. Haay, it's truly fulfilling! The rewards that we get are totally priceless. :)

P.S. Just to clarify, the grades 7 and 9 students in my previous blog are in my tutorial class in the afternoon.