Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Mixture of Fantasy and Reality

Upon reading an article in The Philippine Star some time ago, I got inspired to write my own list of Top 5 favorite books and reasons why I love to read them all over again.

1. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry

This is the very first book that I've read when I entered high school. Our English teacher required us to read this one. I thought that this book is just like the other children's book but I proved myself wrong. It is beautifully written and I actually learned something relevant from it. It all started when an airman accidentally met the little prince, when a part of his engine broke down in the Sahara Desert. The little prince approached the airman because he wanted him to draw a sheep. From then on, they became friends and the rest is history. This story is interesting because the characters are interesting too. They will make every reader appreciate the simple things in life and see "what is essential is invisible to the eye". This book will totally make you think and reflect a lot. Trust me.

2. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

When we were in our senior year in highschool, we had to choose a book to read for our mini-thesis. I chose The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. I did not regret reading this book because it enabled me to understand why mothers act and behave in such ways. I realized that a mother's love for her child is truly "unconditional, selfless, and irreplaceable". It touched me in a way, and I'm thankful because it helped me love my mother more. Plus, I learned something about the Chinese culture. By the way, I craved for moon cake and other Chinese food for a week after reading the book.

3. Penny from Heaven by Jennifer Stockholm


Unlike the other two, this one is not required. I bought it last year because of my resolution to read at least 3 books every summer break. After I finished reading it, I found out that we can really find real happiness through our family and friends, and even in simple things like dreaming about eating a butter-pecan ice cream and spending a Sunday dinner with the whole family. Penny really keeps me "glued" because her life, as an eleven year old, is very intriguing. Why does her favorite uncle live in a car? What is the reason why her mother's and father's family are not talking to each other? Why does her Nonny always cry when the name of her father is mentioned? Hmm. I discovered something about the Italian culture too.

4. Eggs by Jerry Spinelli

My brother was laughing at me when he saw that this one's for 9-12 year old children. He told me that I should not read Eggs because for heaven's sake, it is a children's book! BUT, I've got the last laugh, thank you very much. From this book, I learned that friendship is not always a one-way road. We have to give something to our friends in order to fill what is missing in their lives. Appreciating them for who they are is one big step for them to feel loved, special, and happy. And vice-versa.

5. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

The Harry Potter series is my all-time favorite! Well, Harry Potter is not all about magic, spells, wands, flying brooms, witches and wizards. I think that J.K. Rowling wants us to look beyond and think outside the box. Harry Potter and friends teach us how to be brave in every challenges that come our way; how to love unconditionally; how to become responsible in the actions that we do; how to make choices; and how to treasure and trust the people in our lives. I consider the characters as role models (yes, even Fred and George Weasley, just in case you're wondering) because they have the behaviors and values, which can make us become a better person.

I love reading books like these because they bring me to unknown yet fascinating places where I can learn about different cultures and life's important lessons.

So what's yours? :)



P.S. Happy Mother's Day to your wonderful moms and Happy Birthday my dear friend, Kat Reyes! :)